Upper memory limit

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Tue May 14 07:49:49 EDT 2002

Michael Hudson wrote:

> At any rate, if the OS can't claim back a processes memory when said
> process terminates, it's definitely Time To Get A Real OS.  Even Macs
> can do this now...

Oh man, the classic Mac OS 9.0 was the reason for me to jump onto the
Windows bandwagon eventually. On my Mac rebooting every 30min due to
memory problems were normal.

You can even hurt a Unix machine (I once had the problem with Clean on a
Sun). I have to emphasize that I also used Common Lisp (Allegro) on my
machine and some calculations consumed a hour execution time or so; but
I never noticed any memory problems (and my Lisp and Python programming
style is quite the same).

I am actually using Windows XP (NT 5.1 to be correct) on a Celeron 1000
MHz, 256 MB RAM laptop. To make it clear: Python gives memory back (the
task manager shows it), but, I do not know,...

S. Gonzi