Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Fri May 3 13:00:50 EDT 2002

In the last exciting episode, pinard at iro.umontreal.ca (François Pinard) wrote::
> [Christopher Browne]
>
>> PL/1 was certainly pegged as the successor to both COBOL and FORTRAN;
>
> And of Algol-60, simulation languages, and a few others, with an interface
> giving more access to the underlying operating system than usual in that era.
> It was a common joke at the time that PL/I enthusiasts all had dilated eyes,
> nervous addicted bodies, and were repeating "More... more..." to no end! :-)

PL/1 was evidently _vastly_ superior to C++, by the way; after all,
what important operating systems ever got implemented in C++?

In comparison, the first OS implemented in a high level language was
Multics, in PL/1, and people are still cribbing features from Multics
to this day...
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/multics.html