OT: Crazy Programming

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Fri May 17 04:01:26 EDT 2002

paul at boddie.net (Paul Boddie) writes:
> In other words, some things have to be prioritised so that the whole
> system works as intended. With articles "celebrating" cool hacks, and
> the like, it's clear that some people prioritise arguably less
> important things (in the context of successful real-world systems)
> than others.

Yes.  For example, the misconception that software must be correct to
be useful --- or at least, that correctness is important to real-world
success with software --- seems to be quite widespread in some
circles.

Don't get me wrong --- software is a lot more useful when it works
correctly, and some software does have to be correct to be useful.
But most people, most of the time, use broken software because it is
more attractive than the alternatives.