Newbie: finding the key/index of the min/max element

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Wed May 1 04:00:54 EDT 2002

> From: Alex Martelli [mailto:aleax at aleax.it]
>
> (and I think Portuguese-speakers too -- isn't "Paulista"
> somebody from the city of Sao Paulo, Brazil?).

Indeed. In Portuguese there is also "istano" - in fact, "sou Paulista" means
"I am from the city of Sao Paulo" whereas "sou Paulistano" means "I am from
the state of Sao Paulo (specifically excluding the city)". Similarly "sou
Corinthiano" - "I am a supporter of the Corithians football team" (and if
anyone says "sou Palmeirense" ... eu te odeio ;)

Slang is fun, isn't it?

The uses of -ista in Portuguese correspond to those in Spanish and Italian -
it's used for professions, groups, etc. But there are lots of exceptions.

Tim Delaney