How to access to a remote db

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri May 10 13:29:50 EDT 2002

"Sara D'Amico" <saramard at camerond.tin.it> wrote ...
> Hi Steve,
> thanks for your quickness.
>
> I'm trying to extend a network based on microsoft system with linux
servers
> in a school, for my thesis' project.
> I used samba with linux to implement a ms NT Primary Domain Controller,
and
> a friend of mine is designing the db using MS Access.  I should get the
> info about students from that db; and then create the accounts for the
> authentication procedure in the network.
> I thought to use a table to store the usernames in the db. Then the PDC
> accesses to the db and adds the user's accounts.
> So the problems are: the remote access and the PDC's update.
>
> I hope you'll understand something in all this mess.

Since the Linux system is serving the Windows machines, it would seem to
make much more sense to run a Python program on the Windows machine (the one
that has the Access database on it) and have it store text files in the
right place on the Samba server so that the Linux admin processes could get
at them.

That way you wouldn't have to mess about with any other form of network
communication than Samba, which you already have, or with accessing an
Access database on a remote machine from Linux, which is tricky.

Of course you could use a minimal program on the NT database server, and
then do everything else in Python on the Linux machine once you have the
data you need from the databases. Hope this helps.

regards
 Steve
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/