making python scripts backwards compatible

J.Jacob joost_jacob at hotmail.com
Mon May 6 20:03:23 EDT 2002

> [Steve Holden]
> ...and of course you *did* make sure your patches are available so others
> needing the same feature can easily get hold of them, right?

It was just a quick hack to see if it would work with python 1.5.2,
but anyway here it is:
http://www.liacs.nl/~jjacob/xmlrpc152.zip

    To start a server:
python SimpleXMLRPCServer.py
    To start a client on the same computer using that server:
python clocal.py

Replace 'localhost' in the clocal.py script with the server IP number
if the server is on another computer.

NOTE that the xmlrpclib.py and SimpleXMLRPCServer.py scripts are NOT
the original anymore !

> [Steve Holden]
> ...and, if so, you *are* going to track future changes to the module so your
> backward-s compatible version remains forward-compatible to later Pythons,
> right?

I got your point :)  It was just for demonstration purposes.

later:
Tried to put something on sourceforge but could not get cvs to work
from Windows, gave up after about 1 hour.  Anybody knows a good cvs
program for windows that is compatible with sourceforge !?!?  (so you
can do just what they say on the 'cvs-help' page)