Which GUI Library to Use

J.Jacob joost_jacob at hotmail.com
Mon May 13 11:33:48 EDT 2002

> [Ron Stephens]

> ... but I am always intrigued with "shortcuts" and thus I am still
> "eyeing" the jythonc, compiled java option, although what will it gain
> me if I find learning AWT to be as hard as learning QT???
>
> Any comments would be welcome as always ;-))))

Be -very- happy with all the choices Python offers you.  Even the
Tkinter that comes with most python distributions and needs no extra
installs works fine for any GUI I ever made.  That is with the
exception of 3D graphics stuff or fast realtime 2D things, but then
you'd better code in C anyway.
About AWT: I used to be some kind of a walking AWT encyclopedia at my
university and I can tell you it is my opinion the AWT design
absolutely -stinks- !  Do you know that Sun even admitted that version
1.0 was bad and had it all redesigned?  Well...I think their current
version hardly any better.  And Swing has some unbelievably clumsy
designs.  There are so many weird design decisions (and errors!) in
the Java class libraries that I quit Java and switched to Python.
:--))