OT: Crazy Programming

Christopher Encapera ChrisE at lantech.com
Wed May 15 13:17:19 EDT 2002

>People really should learn the difference between things which are not to
>their personal taste, and thing which are bad.
>
>I, for example, can't stand country and western music. Hate the stuff. But
>would not be so arrogant as to suggest that those who *do* like country and
>western are wrong, and that it's a bad thing. It's just not my cup of tea.
>
>If you don't appreciate modern art, well, fair enough. But 'universal
>condemnation and hatred'? Did your wife leave you for a conceptual artist,
>or something?
>
>Cheers,
>Simon Brunning
>TriSystems Ltd.
>sbrunning at trisystems.co.uk

lol!  If she has, she has not let me in on the betrayal! (that would be so
'artsy fartsy' of her:)  On a more serious note, I do subscribe to that old
fashioned notion of the hierarchy of value, which recognizes that some
things, some philosophies, even some cultures & art are better than others.
While Willie Nelson's 'blue eyes cryin in the rain' might not be Mozart, it
is vastly superior (in every respect) to say, the rapper of the week (or
that "modern art" that sits in front of county hall).  And that ain't no
personal opinion - that is objective truth - the very foundation of the
universe, the ground of all being and meaning, agrees with this evaluation
(i.e. it is objective truth!).  Indeed what is arrogant is that philosophy
so popular these days that everything is relative - that there can be no
(other than subjective) evaluation of right and wrong, good and bad, art
and, well, bad art - it is an arrogant relativism gone wild :)  But none of
this has much to do with that honorable, high art of programming python, and
will be my last laugh - I mean post - on the matter ;)

Christopher Encapera
Lantech.Com
chrise at lantech.com
502-267-4200