Multibyte Character Surport for Python

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sun May 12 13:05:29 EDT 2002

> Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> writes:
>
> > I can provide any number of people who consider, as a matter of
> > principal, that it is _always_ better to make it part of the
> > library and not part of the language.  Some of these people will
> > also argue that it is bad to provide users with options.  This is
> > the 'lean and elegant' school of language design, and they are
> > extrmely consistent in liking tiny languages with large libraries.
>
> On this specific question (source encodings): which of those people
> specifically would favour Stephen's approach (which, I must admit, I
> have not fully understood, since I don't know how he wants the hooks
> to be invoked).
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Write it up and post the question to comp.os.plan9.  These people have
put unicode into their whole operating system and have been thinking
about these issues for their languages for more than a decade.  I
cannot begin to do it justice here -- and Rob will end up flaming
me anyway for getting his point of view wrong.  We've ported Python
to plan 9, so it won't even be off topic or anything.

Laura Creighton

ps they are in a good mood now.  4th edition just came out. cheer!