Forking problem

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Fri May 31 17:10:47 EDT 2002

chouster at uclink4.berkeley.edu (Chris) wrote in
news:79b54d28.0205311242.107dc392 at posting.google.com:
> ... When I do it
> manually the temp file appears, but when I do it from the program, no
> temp file appears yet there are no complaints that anything has gone
> wrong. I'm CONFUSED!! So please help me a) determine why it seemingly
> doesnt execute my program and b) given that (a) is fixed, why no
> printing occurs to my webpage even though I program my CGI script such
> that it prints the processes output stream to my webpage. Thanks!

are you sure that your external program is found? e.g. maybe the PATH
environment is not set and you programm is not found.
try an absolute path and insert an echo e.g. "/usr/local/bin/mycmd&&echo OK
>/var/log/mylog" (make sure that you create the logfile before running and
change the permissions so that the webserver can write to it. "&&" ensures
that OK is only written when the mycmd exited successfully)

the webserver runs as different user (e.g. www-data) does this user has the
needed rights/permissions to load the file, create temps etc?

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>