Problems importing _sre w/VC7-compiled Python 2.1

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Wed May 22 07:44:45 EDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Andrew MacIntyre wrote:

> > I had been under the impression that sre was intended to always be built
> > into the Python core (ie not as a loadable extension module), which might
> > explain some of what you found.
>
> SRE builds just fine as a DLL, and uses a DL_EXPORT statement
> to make sure it exports the right stuff.  this works perfectly fine
> under VC5 and VC6.

I'm more than happy to take your word for it, but this contradicts the
essence of notes in Modules/Setup.dist (from where I got my impression).

Do you expect it should also work as a Unix shared object?  I note that
the default "./configure; make" results in _sre being built into the
python library on FreeBSD boxen.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia