Package __init__ question

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Thu May 23 15:07:02 EDT 2002

[David LeBlanc]
> I downloaded a package - let's call it "fumble" - and when I installed it,
> it put itself into site-packages directly and not a sub-directory of it.
<snip>
> Is this the correct way that packages are meant to work?

Package authors *should* setup a folder in site-packages rather than dumping
their contents into the root.  But, they don't have to.  Other than
providing feedback to the package author or changing it yourself, I'm not
sure there's much else you can do.

You probably know this, but just in case others reading it don't:  This is
all governed by distutils.

Cheers,

// mark