searching files

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun May 12 18:28:14 EDT 2002

"zweistein" <zweistein at net.hr> wrote in message news:<ablhdd$g48$1 at bagan.srce.hr>...
> Hmmmmmm... Yes, I know this, but I'm currently on Win2k, and do not have
> access to grep and/or awk.

If you need grep and/or awk just to get a job done, try this:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

and you can get a Windows executable of the one true awk from the
k-man himself:

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/awkbook/index.html

OTOH, writing awk scripts that are too long to fit on a screen will
fry your brain. Learning to write such things as simple greppers in
Python will expand your horizons and bring much less sorrow to anyone
(including yourself) who has to read the code later.

HTH,
John