What does this traceback message mean?

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Sat May 18 00:02:32 EDT 2002

Robin Siebler:
>I tried creating a COM object using win32com.client.dispatch and got
>this error message:
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
>    IDispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstance(IDispatch, None, clsctx,
>pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)
>com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)
>
>Can anyone tell me what it means?

When you report an error like this, you should also report the
code which starts it all.  In this case, you're missing the code
from the "interactive input".

I suspect you have an invalid class string in your call to
Dispatch.  What class string did you use?  And what did you
expect it to do?

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com