Where does IDLE expect to find imported files?

Ed LeBouthillier apendragn at earthlink.net
Fri May 24 00:32:54 EDT 2002

On Wed, 22 May 2002 23:18:39 +0000 (UTC), "CarolineBlue"
<Midnightblue3 at btinternet.com> wrote:

>BlankCan't get import to work - need to know correct directory to put
>.py files in for processing
>
>I have just installed Python 2.2.1 under Windows 98SE (from a Computer
>Shopper CD).  I am working my way through the Tutorial, but cannot
>import files for processing by IDLE.  Where does IDLE expect to find
>the named file (eg. prog.py), so that "import prog.py" will work?

Given file "prog.py", don't "import prog.py", but rather "import prog"

>  I tried putting it various directories, such as /usr/local/bin
>/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/python but none have worked.  SO where
>is the magic directory?

Python reads a system environment variable PYTHONPATH and
appends it to sys.path. It then searches in the directories listed
in sys.path. To make it look where you want it, add:

	set PYTHONPATH=C:\directory

in your autoexec.bat file

Cheers,
Ed