email module in 2.2

Matthew Dixon Cowles matt at mondoinfo.com
Sat May 25 22:38:55 EDT 2002

On Sat, 25 May 2002 18:18:29 -0500, Alex Russell <alex at securepipe.com>
wrote:

>Thanks Matt, however this doesn't help me at all with
>multipart/alternative messages.

You're very welcome. That code doesn't do anything in particular with
multipart/alternative messages primarily because you didn't mention
that it needed to <wink>.

>I've come to the conclusion that the email module is more or less
>useless, so I'm just going to do this all by hand.

Of course you may be right but I'd be rather surprised if that were
the case. I've written an email client in Python and started before
the email module (and its predecessor mimelib) was available. So I've
done a bunch of fiddling with MIME messages using the email module and
other tools and have yet to find anything to do with MIME messages
that the email module doesn't make easier.

If you'll post a bit more about what you need to do, we may be able to
help more.

At a guess, you may be running into the problem of duplicating the
conventions followed by some particular email client or clients. The
email module hands back MIME parts and your program can do anything it
likes with them. Replicating the behavior of some email client can be
a nuisance but it's a nuisance that's separate from the nuisance of
parsing MIME messages.

Regards,
Matt