Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

geek geek+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed May 1 14:14:56 EDT 2002

Then <aaovlj$agm$1 at bubba.NMSU.Edu>, spoke up and said:
> Bob Melson <"melsonr at earthlink.net"> wrote:
> >Kinda hard to say.  In general, however, I'd say that _I_ would be inclined
> >to use perl in preference to python where there's no significant advantage
> >to be derived from python's OO features.
>
> Can you provide a non-contrived example, given that you're attempting to
> advise someone who knows neither Perl nor Python?

My rule is simply: if there's no good reason to use !Python, use
Python.  Now, what's a good reason not to use Python?
1) standalone project, the coder doesn't know Python but does know
$scripting_language fairly well.
2) large body of existing work, not in Python, which will not be
ported to Python.

Yes, these are simplistic.  For instance, if the "large body of work"
consists mostly of C/Fortran libraries, I'd be tempted to SWIG it and
use Python.