Choose Your Own Adventure

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun May 5 18:51:07 EDT 2002

Philipp Lenssen wrote:

> The term CYOA is used, as I explained, to describe exactly what QML
> produces, all around the web and newsgroups. If I want to quickly
> explain
> what QML does I need to use this term without many alternatives, and
> this
> will help anybody accessing the site.

I have no vested interest here; I am not the owner of the trademark, nor
am I affiliated with them in any way, nor am I (obviously) affiliated
with you or QML.  I'm just warning you that your choice of desciptions
may result in legal troubles down the road.  It seems foolhardy to me to
knowingly and willfully use a trademarked term in your promotion; in
fact, the trademark owners could conceivably use this exchange to
demonstrate your knowledge of the potential violation.

You can rationalize to me or to yourself all you want how you think the
usage is legitimate, but that doesn't really address the issue that if
the trademark holder sees fit you may find yourself embroiled in a
lawsuit.  Whether you want to avoid that quickly and easily now or deal
with when and if it happens is completely up to you; I was just pointing
out the objective fact that you are using the trademarked term in a
realm where the trademark clearly applies.

/  \ Who'd ever think it / Such a squalid little ending
\__/ The American and Florence, _Chess_
    Church / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/church/
 A lambda calculus explorer in Python.