idle and the devil

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Sat May 11 13:52:53 EDT 2002

I thought it is better to calm down before posting some angry emails to the
developers of idle. Yes I know the idle is free (and it is not that bad). I
have got installed Python 2.2 on my Windows XP laptop. I work nearly every
day with Python/idle and everything works fine but the nasty behavior which
sometimes occur: When I mark text in the idle editor (not the command line)
and use "copy and paste", it often happens that this text is not only placed
at the intented place, it also clutters up the complete file at random
places. This often destroys every indentation (yesterday I had the problem,
after manually deleting the in addition wrong pasted code, that a return was
placed in a for loop and it took me quite a while to find out that the
integral is wrong due to the beformentioned misalignment).

Maybe it has to do with XP itself, because this often appeared in Emacs too
and this was the reason to delete Emacs from my hard disc; the Python case
is harder because I need Python for my daily work.

I could not find any pointers in the deja news archive because I have got no
idea under what keyword I should try to search.

Thanks,
S. Gonzi