Protocol error when using xmlrpclib with Jython

Etienne Labuschagne ELabuschagne at gims.com
Fri May 3 04:58:20 EDT 2002

Hi there,

The following problem arises when using Jython and not Python:  When I use
SimpleXMLRPCServer (which is based on xmlrpclib) I get a ProtocolError when
trying to return a string.  The error manifests on the client side (not the
server).  When returning an integer it works fine.  This probably means that
Python strings gets converted to Java Strings (or ARE Java Strings in
Jython?) and that the xmlrpclib does not know how to marshal it.

Is there a Jython compatible xmlrpclib module or maybe a patch (it shouldn't
be that difficult to fix this).

Thanks
Etienne