[Survey] Py Feedback

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu May 9 07:04:30 EDT 2002

cook at pyzine.com (Bryan Richard) writes:

> Two parts to this email (1) gather a bit of feedback on Py (2) inform
> those who aren't aware of Py that it is out there. Py is a print zine
> for Python, blah, blah, blah www.PyZine.com. Some people like it.
>
> First, the first issue of Py has been out for a month or so. What's
> right? What's wrong? Didn't buy it - why not?

I bought it.  Seemed nice enough.  Will subscribe once I finish
fighting with paypal...

> Second, I've been in contact with distributors. The zine has been
> received very well, and they feel there would be little problem in
> getting it in Barnes & Noble, etc., once I fix one thing. The only
> issue is the page count. The current # of pages is 16 and it needs to
> be 40-60. At that size, we are talking about +10 articles + ads (if
> possible) and a price hike. All and all, a considerable investment in
> time and money on this side and a possible barrier to entry on your
> side (higher price).

Do you have enough material for ~200 pages a year?  If you do, I'd
feel less guilty about not writing an article for you yet...

> Given all this, does anyone have an opinion on what the consumer
> interest in a Python periodical might be? Keep it small; keep it on
> the web?

Up to you, really -- keep it going!

> My thinking has always been that Py, and subsequently, Python, would
> reach more people if it were in a bookstore. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Perhaps.

Cheers,
M.

--
  I'm a keen cyclist and I stop at red lights.  Those who don't need
  hitting with a great big slapping machine.