might compatibility become a *goal*?

brueckd at tbye.com brueckd at tbye.com
Mon May 20 13:43:14 EDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Greg Weeks wrote:

> brueckd at tbye.com wrote:
> : You can make and achieve that goal now: don't upgrade.
>
> This would be an option only if A) I never shared code with others, B)
> others never shared code with me, C) my current Python verision was
> bug-free, and D) Python developers promised to port my old version to the
> new machines and operating systems I'll be using in the future.

I covered this in my previous reply; a combination of "you get what you
pay for" and "you can't have your cake and eat it too". In a nutshell: the
Python team appears to value backwards compatibility as well as valuing
other things, but obviously they have to sometimes make the best decision
they can (sometimes breakage is good in the long run).

There are plenty of ways for you to get closer to what you want, but if
none of them include you stepping up and lending a hand (e.g. backporting
bug fixes for all to enjoy), it hardly seems reasonable to complain about
the Python team's allocation of scarce resources (at the very, very least
you could cite specific examples of breakage and how you would have
handled it better, but even that's not very helpful).

-Dave