urllib, urllib2, httplib -- Begging for consolidation?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Tue May 7 14:32:34 EDT 2002

"A. Keyton Weissinger" <lists at weissinger.org> wrote in message news:<mailman.1020777685.13226.python-list at python.org>...

[urllib etc.]

> Am I the only one that thinks these need to be pulled together some? I saw a
> PEP (268?) where there are some rumblings about adding some things to it as
> well. Maybe a combo project?
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

Short comment: yes please!

Longer comment: there seems to be a fair amount of functionality
implemented in one or the other module which isn't readily apparent,
although I often plead ignorance of the contents of the standard
library. I also believe that the URL parsing module (urlparse) might
also need some work, given recent complaints about "file:" URLs.

Paul