Newbie: finding the key/index of the min/max element

Huaiyu Zhu huaiyu at gauss.almadan.ibm.com
Wed May 1 13:55:07 EDT 2002

>> > ?),

[James J. Besemer]
>> > The term derrives from the Sandinistas in Nicaragua, the Communist rebels who
>> > fought against the US-installed conservative Somoza dictatorship (and others)
>> > .
>> > The suffix is sometimes used to refere to any contrarian group, and in cases
>> > simply any group.

[Laura Creighton]
>> That is simple ignorant American narrow-minded foolishness talking.
>> Normally, I would take extreme great care to not say anything so
>> offensive, but I have a deep suspcion that James J Besemer is one
>> of the 'can't take the heat' folks, and will learn to like a kinder
>> and gentler place than the one he proposes to make for Raymond Hettinger
>> if he finds out what it is like to live in the place he proposed.

[holger krekel]
>one moment, please. You are making some valid points but i don't
>see any sense in this 'eye for an eye' attitude.
>After all beeing ignorant about something and the general
>wish to collaboratively advance is the reason we are subscribed
>on this list, isn't it? Why not explain your 'ista' origins to the
>*poster of the original question*?

Am I the only one to detect sarcasm and straight talk aimed at "sarcasm and
straight talk" in Laura's post?  I thought it was great fun.  The only
defect was that picking a topic in which real critisisms are valid makes the
sarcasm too subtle.

Sorry for spoiling the game for everyone.

Huaiyu