Upper memory limit

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Wed May 15 04:36:17 EDT 2002

Fernando Pérez wrote:

> First, make sure that you are finding the right python:
>
> $ which python
>
> should tell you which python runs when you type 'python'. Next, you can tell
> setup.py to put things where you want with the --home option:
>
> python setup.py install --home=/your/path

If I make the normal installation:

1. Downloading Python and entpacking into /home/gonzi/Python-2.2.1/
2. ./configure
3. make

and the Python executeables becomes copied to:

/usr/local/bin/ python    python2.2

If try to install the Numeric now and I get the error message:

creating /usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric
error: could not create
'/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric': Permission denied

If I use it with the prefix (in  /home/gonzi/Python-2.2.1/Numeric-21.0/)

python setup.py install --prefix=/home/sig/Python-2.2.1

but then I can compile the Numeric stuff and it is copied to:

/home/gonzi/Python-2.2.1/lib/site-packages/Numeric

But I cannot include it, because module cannot be found. BUT the above
is not what I want, I want a Python installation in *the following
directory* (this is my directory on the Sun too; and normally I do not
have any problems installing programs): /home/gonzi/Python-2.2.1/

henceforth I tried:

1. ./configure --prefix=/home/sig/Python-2.2.1/
-exec-prefix=/home/sig/Python-2.2.1
2. make

if I type then: which python I get:

./python

(whatever that means).

I can fire up python (and as default I get the Python2.2 version; the
beforementioned installation would result in the normal version; do not
ask me why), *but only* in the /home/gonzi/Python-2.2.1/ directory (how
can I set the environment variable?).

But I cannot try to compile Numeric because I failed to set the global
Python path:

export PYTHONPATH=/home/gonzi/Python-2.2.1

The above is the reason why I never will suggest to my friends to
install Linux (yesterday a collegaue got interested because he saw that
I installed successfully Linux; but it took me quite a long time to
convince him not to waste his life if he does not have any dire need for
a change). Don't get me wrong, in Windows I make click and a few minutes
later I work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
S. Gonzi