<type 'unicode'>

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon May 6 14:42:57 EDT 2002

    >> Thanks guys!  I have one more question.  In the xml doc, I have
    >> already defined
    >>
    >> <?xml version='1.0' encoding="UTF-8"?>
    >>
    >> How come it still returns me unicode?

    Martin> Because the DOM is defined to operate on Unicode objects. Why do
    Martin> you think that declaring the encoding in the file should matter
    Martin> for that?

Because for many people with no experience dealing with Unicode, the two
strings "unicode" and "utf-8" seem semi-synonymous.  (They often appear
together, after all.)  I'm working on a Unicode how-to.  I hoped to make
some progress on that over the weekend, but didn't get to it.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)