Python Enterprise Objects

Bill Tate tatebll at aol.com
Fri May 10 09:32:33 EDT 2002

python at dohao.org (Wenshan Du) wrote in message news:<e786d63d.0205081747.ba28f3c at posting.google.com>...
> hi,all
>   I like python very much, but I find that python is not very suitable
> for enterprise application for now. So, I make a project named Python
> Enterprise Objects for enterprise application at sourceforge.net. I
> want it to be a replacement of J2EE, or Mirosoft .Net framework. Some
> API will added. I need some advice about how to make this dream to
> fact.
>    You can see my project at:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/peo
>    Thanks a lot.

While I applaud your intent (re: "replacement of J2EE or.. .NET") - I
would kindly suggest you bear in mind what your up against.  All hype
aside, Java is and/or will offer solutions from the embedded and
mobile device levels all the way up to corporate IT systems.

At the embedded device level, concerns about Java's
"non-deterministic" nature are being addressed by the new Real Time
Java spec.  I think you can pretty much take it for granted that Java
will eventually have a very good footing both in the embedded and
mobile device markets.  Check out the #1 RTOS vendor VxWorks and see
what they're saying about java.  If I'm not mistaken, you have most,
if not all, the major telecom vendors (Nokia, et.al.) shipping
products with java as well.  Recently, there has been a fair amount of
material published about "Java on Silicon" which suggests that we will
continue to see the speed issue addressed.

I'll ignore the desktop applications because, quite frankly, you need
only look at where most of the major corporate application tools are
going to imagine that java's virtual non-existence on the desktop is
not going to be a real limiting factor.  If your servers and small
devices are running java, and you also have strong support for
xml/soap/web services, the story is a fairly compelling one.

I don't wish to dissuade you, but I would caution you to carefully
consider what pieces are "missing" from the python "enterprise" puzzle
before you go tilting at windmills :>) Good luck.