Page Hit Counter Vandalism & Writing FTP Results

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed May 15 17:19:24 EDT 2002

"Peter F. Ferris" <python at gbronline.com> wrote in message
> Here's the deal:  Someone (I know who, but...) is constantly
"diddling" with
> the page count for a departmental web page I've done. He likes to
change the
> counts to something fairly astronomical like, "932305709023" hits or
> somesuch...  The count itself is stored in a simple text file called
> "default.asp.cnt" on the server.  It's easy for him, with admin
rights
> <sigh!> to diddle the file.

> The Crux of The Matter:

is that gilded garbage is still garbage,

and that gargage in means garbage out (gigo),

and that any pretense at fixing willfully corrupted data is just that.

So don't play that game.

Either try to stop the vandalism (some technical possibilities:
encrypt the data; send page hit packets to a more secure system) or
find something better to do.

>All help TRULY appreciated,

If so, more is available.

Terry J. Reedy