making python scripts backwards compatible

James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Sat May 4 19:37:39 EDT 2002

Brian Quinlan wrote:

> > So the request is this:
> >
> > If you write code that could be used by people or systems
> > based on python 1.5.2 please make sure your code is
> > backwards compatible to 1.5.2.  If that is too much work,
> > please mention the python version you need to use it
> > somewhere in the top of your source.  Especially for
> > networking software.
>
> This is a completely unreasonable request,

I beg to differ.  Rather his request is quite reasonable.

He merely asks to maintain backward compatibility OR (!) be sure to
document your version requirements at the top of your source.

How can any reasonable person disagree?

Only if he insisted on just the first half of his request would he then,
arguably, be asking too much.

Regards

--jb

--