Python Enterprise Objects

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Fri May 10 17:28:46 EDT 2002

Ian Bicking wrote:
[snip]
> Of course, the very use of the word "enterprise" implies that our
> insular joy may mean little that cold, barren land.  That's why I
> try not to touch that stuff -- life is more fun elsewhere.
>
>   Ian

"Enterprise" means different things to different people. Focus on
the "S" in SME (small to medium enterprise) and I can imagine the
need for a reasonably light-weight toolkit for implementing Web
services that can be customized easily.  Small businesses such as
dentist offices, boutique (and non-franchise) stores, etc might
provide a target for Python and an easy to adapt toolkit whereas
hiring a crew of Java programmers and purchasing a large platform
(e.g. Websphere or WebMethods) might be less than attractive.

Python already has many of the pieces of this toolkit (XML tools,
app servers such as Webware and Twisted and SkunkWeb, etc).  It
will be gaining more of the needed infrastructure over the next
year or so.

  - Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman