Ruby for Newbie?!

Scrumpy reply at in_newsgroup.tks
Fri May 17 15:39:59 EDT 2002

I want to learn a programming language.

I'm primarily looking for a langauge to develop web apps and cgi. I would
also like to create GUI apps and perhaps use it for some network admin
tasks. I'll create apps on, and for, Linux and MS Windows.

I'd narrowed down my choice to Python until I came across Ruby ;-)

Is there currently a Ruby equivalent of the following Python related tools,
modules, libraries etc.:

1/ Tools to create standalone apps to ease distribution i.e. no need to
have Ruby installed or to ensure no conflicts between the version of Ruby
used to develop the app and a different installed version.

Python: Installer & py2exe.
RUBY: ?

2/ IDE.
Python: Boa Constructor, Pythonwin, IDLE.
RUBY: Practical Ruby (basic IDE for Windows). Is there a Linux IDE for
Ruby?

3/ GUI toolkits/libraries. My preference is towards using wxWindows.
Python: wxPython, PyQt, PyGTK.
RUBY: ?

4/ Web platforms/frameworks etc.
Python: mod_snake, mod_python, Webware.
RUBY: mod_ruby - any comments about it's stability/suitability for web app
development? Any Ruby equivalent to Webware and it's PHP like (psp)
function?

5/ One file Interpreter i.e. to use on a shared hosting co.'s server that
doesn't have Ruby installed.
Python: mxCGIPython (uses the freeze tool).
RUBY: ?

Is there an 'offical' Ruby binary for Windows? It looks like there are
three unofficial ones created using three different compilers!

Finally, is there a good Ruby book aimed at newbie programmers (not
existing programmers new to Ruby)?

Thanks,
Scrumpy :)

NOTE: I made a recent post on this newsgroup saying that I was selecting
Python as my 1st language and that I hadn't received any response to posts
I had made to comp.lang.ruby. Ironically, I received a post from a Ruby
user who said he never saw my posts (faulty ISP or newsgroup!) so I'm
reposting in both newsgroups. Apologizes to Pythoners.