exe

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Thu May 23 18:59:19 EDT 2002

terjej at mailandnews.com (Terje Johan Abrahamsen) wrote in
news:1e140f34.0205231423.26a1ed28 at posting.google.com:

> Is there any way to make .exe files out of Python, that doesn't create
> such humongous files as py2exe does? A little popup box with a message
> demands about 2.5 mb of hd space. Or is that the price to pay?

sure. McMillans Installer has an options to put everything in a self
extracting archive with automaic unpack/delete when the application is run.
(there are freeze and others too but that's much more work to use than
those two above)

about the size... pack more value in your app than just a dialog box and
you don't have to worry about the size that much <wink>

the libararies are the biggest chunk, no matter if you're app is a three
liner or a 500kB sourcefile - especialy when you use some GUI...

the size depends largely on the extension modules you use. i.e. wxPython
usualy adds 4MB+, win32all is a bit smaller i think, tkinter is not that
large too but has _many_ files.

if size is realy that important for you, you could look at other GUI kits,
some might me much smaller. or write your own extension with only the
functions you need. but in the end i don't think its worth the energy -
computers have enough powers nowdays, execpet you're limited to floppies as
medium <wink>

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>