Oberon in Python, ala Pyrex but instant compile?

Brad Clements bkc at Murkworks.com
Tue May 14 10:20:04 EDT 2002

Brainstorming..

Pyrex looks very nice. I'm wondering if it'd be possible to use an Oberon-2
compiler as the backend instead of GCC.

The idea being that Oberon-2, on some (most?) OS's allows for very fast
dynamic compilation and loading. The Oberon compiler could be a Python
module that dynamically loads Pyrex "modules" and recompiles on the fly as
needed.

I realize that dynamic loading is part of Oberon System, not really the
Oberon compiler itself.

But I wondering if this is too crazy an idea or not. Have something like
Pyrex write Oberon code, run it through an Oberon compiler and dynamically
load the resulting module.

Oberon is much smaller than GCC and runs just about anywhere.

Crazy idea, or waste of time, or both?

--
Novell DeveloperNet Sysop #5

_