Is python really slow?

Chris chrisl_ak at hotmail.com
Tue May 21 20:54:02 EDT 2002

I spend a fair amount of time on perl newsgroups, having the need to use
perl for various parts of my job. I am now learning Python. I am a bit
disheartened at how common it seems to code only some of a program in
Python and use C for other parts, and how much discussion here involves
using C for X and Y. I don't have time to learn another language. I don't
see nearly as much discussion about doing this in the Perl newgroups.
Should I just be learning C instead? Is this just because of the different
applications python is being put to use for or because Python programmers
are more "multi-lingual" or is Python really so slow that one needs to go
to C on a more regular basis?

This is NOT flamebait... it just has me concerned that by deciding on
Python (after becoming semi-proficient in PHP and Perl) I might be making a
mistake.