Python, Perl, & BBSes

P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia dradul at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 14:09:14 EDT 2002

"Thomas" <thomas_judge at hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:35180ff3.0204301931.512b7f2e at posting.google.com...
> There is a perl program in "Matt's Script Archive" called wwwboard.pl
> which, as you might guess, creates a simple but powerful threaded
> message board for websites. Has anyone out there either: translated
> this to python (I need to implement something like this in python in a
> short period of time and don't have time to learn perl); come up with
> an automated perl-python translation tool; or found/written a good
> python based bbs which does not rely on an external database?
>
> Many, many thanks
> Thomas

For starters, you don't want no stinkin' CGI from either Matt's Script
Archive nor Selena Sol's whatever. They are poorly written. I'll phrase
it thusly: You can drive an eighteen wheel truck through the security
holes in those CGIs. It is not worth trying to fix them, because it
would mean rewriting them from scratch.

Soo... I'd rather look for something different (e.g, check
http://www.cgiresources.com/ and the CGI section in
http://www.dmoz.org/). For a perl to python translator, there was an
announcement here in c.l.p or in c.l.p.announce a few weeks ago. Use
google.