Which GUI Library to Use

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri May 10 11:35:36 EDT 2002

Ron Stephens wrote:

> I have learned one thing; there is no royal road to learning GUI
> programming.

Wise words! Ultimately, no matter how many dialog windows you
can paint and generate, there will be a day when you have to code
parts of GUI by hand.

> I suspect that I will need to be satisfied for now with my command
> line Python scripts on the Zaurus (which I find pretty cool all by
> itself ;-))), but that for real slick GUI versions my best bet is to
> really learn BlackAdder and PytQt programming starting with the Rempt
> book; but I am always intrigued with "shortcuts" and thus I am still
> "eyeing" the jythonc, compiled java option, although what will it gain
> me if I find learning AWT to be as hard as learning QT???

Harder, if my experience is any guide. AWT (and Swing, too) really
hurt my head whenever I have to look at them :-) What is it that makes
Qt hard to learn for you?

> (But isn't it really gratifying that even a newbie hobbyist ike me can
> use Python to get as far as I am already, to run my own Python scripts
> on the Zaurus? But if I could create a good gui, others might find my
> scripts to be fun and usefull ....??? >>>

Absolutely.