Licensing question

Huaiyu Zhu huaiyu at gauss.almadan.ibm.com
Tue May 21 14:28:48 EDT 2002

James J. Besemer <jb at cascade-sys.com> wrote:

>"James J. Besemer" wrote:
>
>> I always favorably impressed that he took steps in the licensing to allow
>> commercial spin-offs using Python technology, instead, say, of trying to lock
>> derivatives in the public domain ala Stallman's CopyLeft.
>
>Paul Foley points out that my use of "public domain" in the above sentence is
>incorrect.  GPL not is "public domain".
>
>To forgive is divine.

We'd happily forgive the "mindless, childish GPL-bashing" and those
"borderline libelous accusations and characterizations about" Stallman, as
long as it clearly originates from ignorance rather than ill intent.

I'm still wondering why someone would marvel at MS's "Amarican Success
Story" while paying for their stuff, yet at the same time complaining about
Stallman not being generous enough when you can get his stuff for free (in
both senses).  Human nature, I suppose.

Huaiyu