2**HUGENUMBER Why not optimise it?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Thu May 23 14:15:02 EDT 2002

 > Cheer up!
Thanks, I did.

I'm not particularly attached to the idea of optimising 2**x for large
values of x (never actually used it myself), or even generic large-int
multiplication.  I was just hoping for some resulting discussions of
algos for speeding up multiplication, optimising big integers (e.g.
shared storage or the like), and generally bringing the "fun place to
learn about programming" atmosphere back to the list.

So far only Karatsuba is on the table (that was fun, maybe someone will
want to play with the Python version I just posted).  Apparently the
area of long-int-optimisation is just too well-trod to elicit much
interest among the general populace.

Tim's rather busy these days.  I suppose the days of timbot postings
that take 2 hours to read (what with tracking down all the references
given and learning exotic CS concepts) are a thing of the past.  Still a
fun person, but now more of an adult figure, distant, authoritative :o)
;) .  Life continues on.  Someday I too will need to leave
Never-Never-Land, but darn it, I'll fight it all the way.

I still think it's all a plot by that dratted Wendy Darling!
Mike

Christian Tismer wrote:
> Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> I hereby encourage you to write that in the best
> way you can, since I know of a Python branch
> that will happily adopt any short and sensible optimization.
> I can contribute a bunch to this, too.

> Viruses pretending to be real emails are becoming
> a problem. This one was just simple to detect:
> The real Timbot would either implement it in less
> bytes than the text of this response, or propose
> to provide an appropriate optional extension mechanism
> for special optimization modules.
   Mike C. Fletcher
   http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/