Multibyte Character Surport for Python

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed May 8 17:37:20 EDT 2002

Erno Kuusela <erno-news at erno.iki.fi> wrote in message news:<kuhelirarl.fsf at lasipalatsi.fi>...
> In article <j4y9euwxq7.fsf at informatik.hu-berlin.de>,
> loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de (Martin v. Löwis) writes:
>
> | So far, it appeared that there is wide agreement that identifiers in
> | Python should be ASCII only. Do you disagree, i.e. do you *really*
> | want to use non-ASCII identifiers?
>
> what would be the advantage in preventing non-english-speaking people
> from using python?
>
>    -- erno

OK, here are some quick contributions to what promises to be a very
rational debate :-)

(1) You mean, like they are prevented from using FORTRAN, COBOL, C,
...?

(2) Perhaps you mean 'Merican-speaking ... I'd like to campaign for
programming languages to accept keywords, method names, etc based on
the programmer's locale, for example 'centre' versus 'center'

(3) And for folk who might prefer (say) verb-last order, we could base
the grammar on locale, so that instead of being forced unnaturally to
write

   foo = 0

they could instead use something like this:

   0 _(to) foo _(bind)