article: MS in Peruvian open-source nightmare

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Wed May 8 13:20:34 EDT 2002

Laura Creighton wrote:
> > a peruvian congressman answers to letter form MS.
> >
> > its an long, but interesting read in favor of open source (hi Oleg ;-).
> > i post this note here because GvR is metioned along with RMS, Linus and
> > others.
> >
> > here's the article from "The Register" (found on "/."):
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25157.html
> >
> > chris
>
> Thank you very much for posting this Chris.
>
> I don't have to write the 'why do I want a world in which the right to
> close source your program is greeted with the same sort of horror as the
> right to sell your children into slavery' article.  The Peruvian
> legislator David Villanueva Nu?ez has done a better job than I could.
>
> I think that this is pretty straight forward, and written well, as one might
> expect from a famous Poet.  But if anybody wants 'marginal aggregate value'
> and the like explained to them, post away and I will get to it.

This letter is really an *astounding* work. I have never read anything
like this from a politician. 'Our democratic' politicians should
start to think about his statements such as:

 "It is also necessary to make it clear that the aim of the Bill we are
  discussing is not directly related to the amount of direct savings that
  can by made by using free software in state institutions. That is in any
  case a marginal aggregate value, but in no way is it the chief focus of
  the Bill. The basic principles which inspire the Bill are linked to the
  basic guarantees of a state of law, such as:

  Free access to public information by the citizen.
  Permanence of public data.
  Security of the State and citizens."

makes one want to move to peru.

thanks you very much for posting this,