Low level python

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri May 3 07:21:12 EDT 2002

"Matthew Sherborne" <miracle at paradise.net.nz> writes:

> You guys are scaring me. I don't feel safe on the cutting edge!
>
> It actually doesn't look that hard using WinDriver (they even have device
> drivers written in VB!)
>
> One prob I have to convince the rent payers: It uses 2-3Mb of RAM when
> running! Who wants a 3Mb device driver?
>
> I remember that deeply embedded python recompile python dropping langauge
> features out. Is there an easy way to do this?
>
> Anyone know how I can reduce the memory footprint of Python?

There are some things you can just not compile in: unicode, complex
numbers.  Obviously, don't compile extension modules you don't need
(e.g. _tkinter!).  It's probably not that difficult to hack out more
stuff, but it would be A Project.  Ditching the compiler would
probably bring some savings, but would make development much more of a
pain.  Etc.

I don't think psyco is too memory friendly at the moment, is it?

Cheers,
M.

--
40. There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third
    one works.