pygtk vs. wxPython

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Fri May 17 18:30:40 EDT 2002

Thomas Guettler:

> I prefere pygtk because wxpython has an extra layer in
> the library stack:

   I agree with this concern. When you have a problem with wxWindows on GTK+
then you need to work out which level is causing the problem. Is it caused
by the  fundamental capabilities of the widget or by the wxWindows wrapper?
Because the wxWindows widgets are wrappers, there are differences in
functionality between platforms. Some wxWindows widgets are implemented
using wxWindows directly instead and these offer the same capabilities on
each platform.

> Has some one experience with pygtk on windows?

   A good large example GTK+ application is Wing IDE available on both
Windows and X. You can get a time-limited demo from
http://archaeopteryx.com/wingide/demo

   Neil