AS Rant. WAS: shutil rant

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Sat May 18 18:12:03 EDT 2002

David LeBlanc wrote:
> Can you explain why PythonWin is needed to do any "serious" work on
> Windows?

PythonWin, the IDE, is probably not needed. The win32 extensions are
invaluable though.

> Aside from the Windows Scripting Host interface, what other benefit
does
> AS Python in addition to Python and PythonWin?

On Windows, AS Python is PythonLabs Python plus:

1. Mark Hammond's win32 extensions
2. A slick MSI installer
3. An automatic module installation system for select 3rd party modules
4. Other stuff that I can't think of

> I would have thought the prohibition on redistribution to 3rd parties
of
> the AS distribution would have been troublesome?

I bet that the vast majority of Python users are not interested in
redistribution.

> It strikes me as "ActiveTaint" more then "ActiveState".

Clever.

Cheers,
Brian