Python in a 386 computer

Bo bosahvremove at netscape.net
Fri May 24 18:17:17 EDT 2002

rodrigo at mosaic.com.br (rvertulo) wrote in news:b2e35aa7.0205230953.2ffa37c0
@posting.google.com:

> Hi people,
>
> Is it possible to run python in a 386 computer?
>
> Thanks.

Yes it is certainly possible -- one of the paired down Linux or BSD
distributions would be the best option. Most of the mainstream modern linux
distros are moving beyond the 386 as a target platform.

One thing to consider however is _what do you want to do with it_?

Python is a language worth learning but it is not an end in itself. What
would you like to accomplish???

By way of an explanation you can also edit text very happily on a 386 but
is there a body of text you need to edit? You could write the next great
novel on a 386 but are you burning to do so???

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm I'm sure there are many things
that a 386 will work just fine for. (It has tested itself so far and is
unlikely to fall apart -- ask Nasa which I think has still not approved
Pentium 2s for space work.) In your shoes, I would be looking at a clear
task for the machine. The clearer your goal the more optimization you can
achieve on the machine.

I'd try and stay away from the graphical environments and concentrate on
shell scripting and programming\python logic. These are great skills to
learn. If you are unfamiliar with linux make sure you install a program
called Midnight Commander.

Bo

Good luck