string module

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Wed May 22 06:55:22 EDT 2002

Michael Hudson wrote:
> > btw, Fernando already knows that i rewrote the rlcompleter module
> > to be a lot more comfortable. It works very differently from
> > the old rlcompleter by tokeninzing/parsing/evaluating subexpressions.
> > My current development version (requires readline :-) is here:
> >
> >      http://home.trillke.net/~hpk/rlcompleter2.py
> >
> > just import it on a pure python installation (with readline available)
> > and play around :-)
>
> Wow, that's a peice of work!

thanks! it's even better if you apply the one-liner readline-patch 558432 on
sourceforge :-)

> > If you want to continue development i'd definitely try to integrate my
> > rlcompleter2 module into pyrepl (and learn some emacs-bindings again :-).
>
> I would imagine that it would be *much* easier to do the kind of
> things you've done in rlcompleter2 for pyrepl, owing to it being
> "Python all the way down".

right. that's why i like your approach and code.

>   Though you might need to worry about
> multiple lines and stuff.

yes, this is actually a *non-trivial* problem. I have some
ideas how to solve this for some cases, though.

Solving these issues would yield the basis for a truly
interactive development style.

> Hmm, so many things to worry about, so little time...

true. but as long as the things i worry about are interesting
i don't care too much :-)

cheers,

    holger