Upper memory limit

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Tue May 14 14:03:00 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1021384941.21289.python-list at python.org>,
Michael Gilfix says...
>   I got the impression from your first post that you were complaining
> that Python wasn't freeing memory at all (I could be totally
> off). Perhaps the problem might be circular references? Is your
> data structure self-referential? If so, you should be using
> weakref's. There's nothing python can do to free circular references
> because it always thinks they're in use.

Actually, that's not true.  The garbage collection in recent
Python versions (I think 2.0+, but I'm not positive) can indeed
detect cycles.  Of course, if you know that you've got circular
references, you're likely better off using weakrefs anyhow, but
it is possible for Python to release cyclic garbage.

That being said, the problem here seems to me to be the OS memory
management, not anything to do with Python.

--

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer