[newbie] Is Python what I'm looking for?

Giulio Cespuglio giulio.agostini.remove.this at libero.it
Fri May 24 18:05:44 EDT 2002

Hi there,

My aim is to automatically get specific pieces of information from a
website, simulating the behaviour of a user filling in HTML forms and
clicking buttons (a web robot?), then embed them in my HTML page.
In other words, the pages I need to access are not accessible from a
standard URL.
The other part of the problem is of course parsing the resulting HTML
and extracting the pieces of info I need.

Does Python provide libraries that could help me? Could you please
give me some keywords/pointers? I'm completely new to Python.
I would of course set up my web server under windows (Apache?) and the
necessary plugin.

Can you think of a better way of doing this? Another scripting
language perhaps?

Thank you very much!
Giulio