zope python: recollection error: unknown symbol "atexit"

Axel Bock the-me-nntp at gmx.net
Tue May 14 15:40:22 EDT 2002

hello,

i recently tried to install python binary on a linux machine. the included
python interpreter always quit with the errormsg

    "recollection error: unkown symbol: atexit"

it wouldnt even start manually. the failure was in zope versions 2.5.1b1,
...b2, 2.5.1, 2.4.4.

replacing the python binary with a link to my installed version (2.2) did no
good - zope compiled this time, but zope start aborted with the same error.

can anybody help? i need linux zope for my studying thesis and i'm pretty
"upset" right now ... :-))

thanks in advance and greetings,

        axel.