Has Red Hat helped or hurt?

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Wed May 8 17:58:04 EDT 2002

Quoting Tim Roberts (timr at probo.com):
> How have other people handled this?  Do you just copy all of
> 1.52/site-packages to 2.x/site-packages?  Do you install Python 2.x into a
> separate directory and grumble every time you have to change the #! line in
> your scripts?  I tried updating all of the #! lines in the Red Hat scripts,
> but this, of course, blows as soon as you do an rpm upgrade of a
> Python-based package.

Yes, it's sloppy deployment on RedHat's part. I'm sure the guy who put
together the system is suitably embarassed by his/her own oversight,
or should be. It's proven to be a real problem for more than one
person.

In solving the problem, I've gone both ways. I like the PATH solution
some suggest, it interests me. But I tend to shy away from solutions
that rely on the operating environment of a process to resolve
correctly, because the environment tends to be so highly dynamic and
somewhat hard to predict. I also dislike adding external dependencies
to a program -- that's something the free software community tends to
do quite a bit, and often to frustrating or infuriating result.

The other options I've aimed at are outlined in an older post of mine:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=mailman.1017695170.25885.python-list%40python.org

Others in that thread contributed other equally or more interesting
opinions.

Luck,
--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts <geoff at gerrietts dot net>     http://www.gerrietts.net/
 "Politics, as a practice, whatever its professions, has always been the