serial port problem

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu May 16 20:57:17 EDT 2002

seh wrote:

> I am trying to get my serial port working with python.
>
> I have installed and tried USPP, Sio32 and Pyserial. All of them
> installs nicely and I get no errors using the commands. The only
> problem is that my instrument in the other end does not respond to the
> commands. I have tried on two different laptops one with W2000 and the
> other with NT4.0.
>
> When I do the same thing in Matlab on the same pc everything is
> working nicely.
>
> Does anybody has any ideas on what I do wrong or what I do not do? Any
> ideas on how to debug the problem?

Hook up a cross-over cable (like a null modem cable) between two
serial ports on the same PC and run Hyperterminal on the second
port to monitor the data being sent...

Also experiment with manually controlling the serial modules
through the Python interactive prompt.  If you can't do it from
there, you're program won't work either.

-Peter